Friday 1 January 2021

Here are some of the very best quotes from the man of mystery, Sherlock Holmes.

1. “…when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth…” – Sherlock Holmes

2. “Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brain? It must be so boring!” – Sherlock Holmes

3. “I’m not a psychopath, Anderson. I’m a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research.” – Sherlock Holmes

4. “Anderson, don’t talk out loud. You lower the IQ of the whole street.” – Sherlock Holmes

5. “Don’t make people into heroes, John. Heroes don’t exist and if they did I wouldn’t be one of them.” – Sherlock Holmes

6. “My name is Sherlock Holmes. It is my business to know what other people don’t know.” – Sherlock Holmes

7. “I am the last and highest court of appeal in detection.” – Sherlock Holmes

8. “The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes.” – Sherlock Holmes 

9. “You see, but you do not observe. The distinction is clear.” – Sherlock Holmes

10. “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.” – Sherlock Holmes

11. “I never guess. It is a shocking habit,—destructive to the logical faculty.” – Sherlock Holmes

12. “There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact.” – Sherlock Holmes

13. “Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.” – Sherlock Holmes

14. “Data! Data! Data! I can’t make bricks without clay.” – Sherlock Holmes

15. “I cannot live without brain-work. What else is there to live for?” – Sherlock Holmes

16. “There is nothing new under the sun. It has all been done before.” – Sherlock Holmes

17. “I ought to know by this time that when a fact appears to be opposed to a long train of deductions it invariably proves to be capable of bearing some other interpretation.” – Sherlock Holmes

18. “I never make exceptions. An exception disproves the rule.” – Sherlock Holmes

19. “What one man can invent another can discover.” – Sherlock Holmes

20. “The emotional qualities are antagonistic to clear reasoning.” – Sherlock Holmes

21. “I think that there are certain crimes which the law cannot touch, and which therefore, to some extent, justify private revenge.” – Sherlock Holmes

22. “Having gathered these facts, Watson, I smoked several pipes over them, trying to separate those which were crucial from others which were merely incidental.” – Sherlock Holmes

23. “My mind is like a racing engine, tearing itself to pieces because it is not connected up with the work for which it was built.” – Sherlock Holmes

24. “My mind rebels at stagnation. Give me problems, give me work, give me the most abstruse cryptogram or the most intricate analysis, and I am in my own proper atmosphere. I can dispense them with artificial stimulants. But I abhor the dull routine of existence. I crave for mental exaltation. That is why I have chosen my own particular profession,—or rather created it, for I am the only one in the world.” – Sherlock Holmes

25. “When a doctor does go wrong, he is the first of criminals. He has the nerve and he has the knowledge.” – Sherlock Holmes

For more great mystery content, check out www.mystread.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment